The annual Bras for Cause campaign, Oregon Cancer Foundation’s most colorful fundraiser, kicks off earlier this year and ends with a spectacular Girls Night Out celebration.
Serious fun for a serious cause
Bras for Cause got its start seven years ago, spearheaded by Shirley Lyons and Toviana Jackson of Dandelions Flowers & Gifts. The mother-daughter duo felt compelled to create an event that would bring awareness to breast cancer and raise money to support patients going through treatment. Borrowing a concept that has been used around the country, Bras for Cause was born: Invite people to decorate a bra, put the creations on display, and encourage the community to donate by voting for their favorites.
“We wanted to do something that people would be excited about, while making sure the money raised would stay right here in our community,” Shirley said. “It’s important to have national cancer research, but people going through treatment have real financial needs.”
All proceeds raised through Bras for Cause supports OCF’s Financial Assistance Program, helping cancer patients undergoing treatment in Lane County.
“We are 100% donation-funded and 100% local,” said OCF Executive Director Amy Johnston. “The money raised through Bras for Cause contributes immensely to our annual fundraising and allows us to continue to fulfill 100% of the requests for assistance we receive.”
This year’s Bras for Cause goal is $75,000.
Shirley Lyons and Toviana Jackson started Bras for Cause seven years ago to support local cancer patients.
Kicking off in style
Bras for Cause 2017 kicks off on Tuesday, Sept. 19, with the third annual Build-a-Bra event. Grab your family, your friends, your co-workers or come solo and join us for an evening of fun. Art supplies are provided – or bring your own!
- When: Tuesday, Sept. 19, 4-7 p.m.
- Where: Along Came Trudy, 1486 18th St., Springfield
- Entry Fee: $10 per bra
Deadline to submit your bra creation to Dandelion’s Flowers and Gifts is Friday, Sept. 22, at 5 p.m.
Voting happens Oct. 1 – 31 online at brasforcause.org. Vote for your favorites; $1 = 1 vote and you can vote as many times as you’d like.
Come see all the colorful bra entries on display at the annual Reveal Party at Dandelions Flowers & Gifts on Tuesday, Oct. 3. This event is free to attend and fun for the whole family.
A fun finale
Bras for Cause culminates with its first-ever Girls Night Out celebration. Grab your girlfriends and celebrate at this woman-inspired event with dinner, music, a silent auction, games and a fashion show, featuring bras created by area businesses and modeled (over their clothes) by local cancer survivors.
- When: Friday, Nov. 3, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Where: Venue 252 at 252 Lawrence St., Eugene
- Tickets: $35/each or $240/Table for 8. Tickets available soon at brasforcause.org.
New events this year
- Business Bras: Area businesses that are interested in participating can build a bra and raise funds throughout the month of October. The top 12 business bras will be modeled by local cancer survivors at the Girls Night Out celebration. Contact Amy Johnston at 541.632.3654 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Classes: In tandem with Bras for Cause, Oregon Cancer Foundation is partnering with Eugene Yoga, massage therapist Kimby Maxon and others, and will be offering a variety of free classes throughout October. More details coming soon.